Forum Home Forum Home > Moped2.org Forums > Moped Technical Assistance Center
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedif your moped has no spark

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arellspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 8:58am
I did all that and and no spark. So I retested thehigh tension coild with my OHM meter. Set at 200 ohms and in beep mode I checked the low tension lead from the coil and it beeped and read 010. I reset to 20K and tested the high tension lead and it read 448. Are these numbers goode? this is a used coil that worked for me up till my clankity clank troubles. and has a scarey looking crack in the black plastic top of it.
thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links

donp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Master Regional Rider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 10:22am
coils very rarely go bad unless they are hit, sprayed with carb cleaner, or have an excessive voltage applied to them. the fact that the housing is cracked, may be a good indication that the coil was hit, and may have gotten water inside it which shorted it out. as far as your readings go, i don't know what the service specs are, so i can't tell you for sure if they are good or bad.
arellspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arellspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 5:07pm
I did all that and it will run very well with no tail light cause i been stopped ten times for no tail light dang it!LOL!
I tested the high tension coil and at 200 ohms with the low tension lead that would go to the CDI connected to the RED MM LEAD and the BLACK MMlead to ground it tested out to 010 and with the red MMlead to the high tension lead and black to ground I set the MM to 20K OHMS and it tested at 448
So a reading of 010 at "200 ohms" for the low and 448 at 20Kohms for the high. So how does that unit test out and WHAT TYPE OF SYSTEM DO I HAVE with a TFR Kinetic? is it a twelve volt or six volt and what is the wattage number? I need to know if I have to order a HIGH TENSIOn COIL. I wish to use a universal unit. Thanks for your help!
thanks for the help!
donp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Master Regional Rider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2007 at 6:33pm
it should be a 12v system. but i do not know the wattage. most magnetos are 60-80 watts.
arellspencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arellspencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2007 at 2:34am
you is alright DON P
I figgered it HAD TO BE a twelve V system cause it's already generating almost eight volts just spinning the peds. Thanks for your timely and spot on advice Don P.
I saw where another system had 12V 50 watt.
My local store wants 74 bucks for the unit and I wish to get it online for cheaper but I need to know EXACTLY what to get.
So to keep from beggin the store folkes into giveing me the info I figger'ed I would try to finde out.
thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic