Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Other authors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTom Clancy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtaur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2006 at 2:53pm
Ken Follett, that's who it was. I've seen Cryptonomicon around but have never paid much attention to it.
Sponsored Links

christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2006 at 1:33pm
I'm interested in Clancy. I've heard great things about the movies, so the books are going to be even greater. I'll get around to them by this summer.

Are the James Bond books by Ian Fleming technothriller? They were written in the 50's and 60's and use all the technology that they would have then.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
GeneB View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 7:29am
I have some Ken Follet books, AND the Eye/Needle movie starring Donald Sutherland. GREAT movie.
Ask me about DEAN KOONTZ Forum T-shirts. Cool.

WhiteWolf View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Climate Change Denier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 1:16pm
I think it's best to classify the Bond books (as well as Robert Ludlum)as espionage/spy thrillers, not necessarily "techno-thrillers." If not for any other reason than the fact that a lot of Bond's little "gadgets" were completely imaginary, whereas a thechnothriller tries to stay true-to-life.

The movies are okay, but the only one that was somewhat faithful was THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER. Alec Baldwin was a good choice to play Jack Ryan and should have stayed. But then they made PATRIOT GAMES, which was actually a prequel to RED OCTOBER, and they went older with Harrison Ford (not to mention they left out nearly half the book-but that's a whole argument by itself). And CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, forget it, they left out about 80 percent of that one, and if they wanted to make the whole thing into a movie it would have been five hours long and cost $800 million. They weren't bad movies, just not what I wanted. The only real disappointement was THE SUM OF ALL FEARS, which went a long way to ruining Jack Ryan on the big screen forever. If only they could have kept Alec Baldwin, none of this mess would have been created.

What I really need to post here is my extreme displeasure with Tom Clancy's OP-CENTER books. I wasted a lot of time reading about a half dozen of them that I will never get back. I come back later for that one.
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2006 at 3:20pm
The Sum of All Fears movie is the only one I've seen, and the only thing I need to say is that Ben Affleck was in it.

This link http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/tom-clancy/ has the Ryan books in a different order and I'm wondering why they messed it up like that. It's not like they put it in the order they came out. I was thinking that maybe some of them that came out later and are before ones already published did happen before those ones, but the way it is told you would want to know the information from the ones published first. Hope that's not confusing. I just wanted to make sure I read the correct one first. Most likely go by your list WhiteWolf.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic