Forum Home Forum Home > Personal-Freedom.org Forums > Deep Thinkers forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked$

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtaur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 7:16am
let's just say that our government can never work as it is intended to because congress and presidents propose legislation, vote on legislation, etc. not based on what they truly believe is right but rather on what their political party thinks will get them the best advantage, what will help them raise funds to get reelected, etc.
i'm not saying that every politician is corrupted by the way politics is done, but I couldn't name you one that hasn't been twisted by those influences either. no text book will tell you that, but if you read other books or really pay attention to what's going on, you'll figure it out soon enough.
Sponsored Links

Jack Handey View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Handey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 7:44am
I wish a robot would get elected president. That way, when he came to town, we could all take a shot at him and not feel too bad.
cd27 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cd27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 7:57am

well, i can agree on that, but president bush still can't do jack squdel without congress. it's all of them if any.

cd
gemtaur80 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtaur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 8:02am
um you mean he can't do things like hand over no-bid contracts for reconstruction in New Orleans to Halliburton without anyone's approval? because he did just that. when congress is already supposedly investigating them for vast overchargings in their Iraq contracts.
yes there are checks and balances but there are many things that can be done outside of that system. he can make war for 30 days I think it is without congressional approval. he's done that. once you're 30 days into a war is Congress going to say oh no mr. president you shouldn't do that, pull everyone out - not likely. the concept of checks and balances is an overarching concept of how the government works but if you look into the nitty gritty details, the numerous loopholes, the president still has vast powers to do many things.
GeneB View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2005 at 8:05am
The most powerful man on earth. Better make sure you pick a good one!
Ask me about DEAN KOONTZ Forum T-shirts. Cool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic