Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Harry Potter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfavorite book???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2007 at 1:50pm
SLIGHT SPOILERS.

I never quite understood the whole Cho Chang character, and why Rowling wasted so much time on her, as opposed to starting with Ginny from the beginning. I liked Ginny, but always felt her love for Potter was largely unexplained. I assumed her role in Deathly Hallows would be bigger than it turned out to be.

One of the weaknesses of all the Potter books is the lack of development of almost all the relationships. We are simply told most everything about how people do and don't like or don't like one another.

Anyway, enough about the snogging.

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.” Dean Koontz

Sponsored Links

jbirdag96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbirdag96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2007 at 5:07pm
1. GOF
2. HBP
3. DH
4. POA
5. OOTP
6. ST
7. COS
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2007 at 11:54pm
I agree breezit, Cho seemed a wasted character that went nowhere. None of the romantic relationships seemed natural or organic. Interestingly enough, she did such a great job developing friendships but couldn't seem to really handle romances.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 7:02am
I loved the Cho character! I think reading them starting at the age of fourteen worked out perfectly for me. It seemed that all of the books just came out at the perfect times in my life. While I agree with you folks on the whole romance stuff, when I first read HBP I kept thinking, wow, this is exactly how the idiots I knew in high school acted. That was reason enough to hate the romance scenes.

OK, after very long contemplation, I'm going to have to read all seven books again. I always thought I would do this after all seven books were out. I had actually planned reading all seven books seven times each. I came close to that! Though once I met Koontz and a few other authors re-reading became a non-entity.

HP 1-4 I've read 6 times each.
HP 5, my favorite, I've read 4 times.
HP 6-7 I've read once.

I have a feeling I got more joy out of my least favorite, SS, than the people on this forum got out of their favorite.

I also think that after the re-read I'll put GoF ahead of HBP, mainly because at the time I probably overrated it because I was so excited about a new Potter book and hadn't read GoF in over 2 years.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
Paolo Macachor View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Macachor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2007 at 1:57pm
My favorite now is

DEATHLY HALLOWS... seconded by HBP.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic