Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMidnight, 1989

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2006 at 3:34am
This is, IMO, the scariest, most disturbing DK book of all because it really questions what makes a man truly human and shows the temptation in all of us to withdraw from the hardships of human life. My only problem with this book is that it's set in a very specific time period, with all the 80's references, so it has a dated feel to it in a way.
Acfrogg-- It's odd that a DK fan would "hate" children considering most of his books have at least one major child character. Obviously DK sees children as a source of wisdom if not salvation of humanity. (Interesting, considering he himself is childless.)
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
Sponsored Links

Blazingice0608 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blazingice0608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2008 at 12:18pm
Wow, i am really suprised at how small this thread is, and that there is some pretty harsh feedback, this was an awesome book! Its only my 6th DK book, but definitly my favorate so far.

Where to begin, i really loved how in the beginning, DK was masterful at creating a really creppy scenario in moonlight cove, i really could visualize how eerie the place must have been. The entire first part of the book was AMAZING, packed with awesome characters, and lots of questions to be answered. It all came together beautifully as each character found out different things at different times, all leading up to everyone being on the same page. I also found the monsters he created to be very unique and creative, it got a little nuts towards the end but it was okay anyway. I especially liked the end of part 1 when Loman really stood up to Shaddack, in fact, Loman really made the story for me. It was cool how we get to be in the minds of the new people, as well as regressives, i just loved the whole thing. The second part was a little slow, but i was so in love with the characters that it didnt matter. And part 3 was a wonderful climax to a great story, everything came together in an awesome and fitting way.

Overall, a fantastic book and as i said before, definitly my favorate one so far, id recomend this to anyone.
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 3:11am
SPOILERS:

Koontz is creating an eerie mood in this first section. I get major creeped out when those human/animal things are chasing people, especially when they run on all fours and start speaking in that urgent voice. That scene in the restaurant was something else too. The way many of the town customers were eating and combined with Sam's reaction to them was a great scene. I can see the set up for a nice family conflict between Sam and his son. I was very frustrated with the teenage son. Ugh. That attitude was the perfect example of parents dealing with a troubled teen. The scenes with these creatures pursuing characters reminds me of how anxious if felt during Fear Nothing and Seize the Night when the rhesus monkeys were stalking victims. Those monkeys really creeped me out and now these human creatures are doing the same thing to me.

That sensory deprivation tank scene with the main villain.....eeeww.

I'm on page 206 now and Sam and Tessa just met the guy in the wheelchair named Harry Talbot. I like the reference to his character to the guy in Rear Window with Jimmy Stewart. That's one old classic that I've actually watched.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

TheFirTree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFirTree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2010 at 7:42am
Post Edited
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2010 at 5:40pm
He sure is down on it. I think he called it black metal with the satanic themed groups. I saw that shot at U2 also. Ha. I'm on page 344 now. This is the strangest DK book I've ever read!

A couple of scenes made me want to stay away from my laptop.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic