Forum Home Forum Home > Scooters2.com Forums > Scooter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNo subject

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No subject
    Posted: July/18/2003 at 9:47am

I have a 2001 Yamaha Jog 50cc.  This bike is riden daily at a distance of 36 miles roundtrip.  I have done nothing to it since mile one and it is riden in Arizona where in the summer currently it has been over 115 many days.  The bike has 5100 miles on it and is just as smooth and perfect as day one.  My question is I put on about 720 miles a month on this scooter and need to know what types of preventative maintanence that I should be doing or should have already been doing.  This is oil injected so I just add oil when I need it.  Also the bike is full throttle all the time.  Should I change the transmission fluid and/or the spark plug.  Do I need to clean the carb or oil the shocks or anything like that.  Remember Arizona is as severe as it gets for heat and dust.  I want to see how far I can push this bike before needing a rebuild on the two stroke engine.

Thanks

Edited by jog2001
Sponsored Links

andypooh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypooh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2003 at 12:00pm

whoa, am i glad that you didnt post this on the moped army forum! haha!

a jog (i believe) is a scooter and would not really be called a moped. however, ld have thought that you would need to change tranny oil every few months/k miles, clean your air filter (and possibly carb as its dusty there) and just oil the things that need oiling. i wouldnt change a spark plug unless its faulty/worn out. scooters doont seem to be as maintenance hungry as mopeds, but its worth maybe getting a service manual as they tell you what you need to do as far as a service is concerned. also check your handbook (if you have one) as i would think that would have a service schedule in it

best of luck buddy!

Edited by andypooh
Andy :)

Tomos A3MS (has its problems)
Yammy QT50 (runs like a top)

jog2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2003 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the advice.  I am going to drain the tranny today and add fluid.  Anybody know how to flush out the old stuff completely before adding the new.  Also How do I clean the carbeurator.  5k on original tranny fluid probably isn't good.  Does tranny fluid that old affect mileage or power at all?
andypooh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andypooh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2003 at 12:17pm

ive read about people using kerosene to clean out moped tranny cases, but i would be careful using this without asking somebody who knows about your scooter first.

if its working ok i wouldnt mess with the carb, but if you do......

a carb should be easy enough to clean, just go get yourself some spray carb cleaner to clean the inside of the carb thoroughly (remove any plastic parts that could be damaged first) - if its real bad inside, you may need to soak it in the carb cleaner - do check your jets as well as they can become clogged. a fine piece of wire can be used if they are real gummed up

btw, its always worth installing an inline fuel filter if it doesnt already have one. it can stop nasties from getting into the carb in the first place

Andy :)

Tomos A3MS (has its problems)
Yammy QT50 (runs like a top)

jog2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jog2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2003 at 6:49am
I cleaned out the carb and also washed and re-sprayed the air filter.  I also drained the tranny and re-filled.  Did not replace the spark plug as it should last a lot longer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic