Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSole Survivor, 1997

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 6:27pm
SPOILERS:

I picked this book for my next DK read because I was wanting something from his Spiritual Suspense genre. His books from that category are in my top favorites. Sole Survivor definitely delivered and placed in my top. The entire book was a page turner and the last 50 pages had me hanging on every word. Joe Carpenter is the angriest POV character I've read to date by DK. His violence and picking fights along with what he did in the Catholic church to the stations of the cross surprised me. The history of his anger originated with his father's situation I believe. My heart went out to him so often, especially with his "searching behavior." I found myself wanting to yell out at Rose "Where's Nina?!" in those scenes with her and Joe. Those suicide scenes! The remoting in the animals! Whoa. That pilot transcript was so mysterious and I was amazed with what it actually was. I especially enjoyed the case for creationism in science detailed at the end along with errors in evolution theory. I was deeply touched with how Joe's "hate" for Nina evolved into a father/daughter relationship along with the description of an afterlife.

Oh, the desctiption of L.A. was so funny.

I found the plane crash site visit scene with Barbara very eerie and so sad.

The boy #89-58 and the description of that orphanage was tragic.

One part of the book I never figured out what it meant. On page 280 of the paperback there is a description of the decline of Westwood Blvd. in L.A. A comment states, "Then, during a period when the city's ruling elite was in one of its periodic moods to view certain forms of sociopathic behavior as legitimate protest, vagrancy increased, gang members began to loiter in groups, and open drug dealing commenced."

I don't understand what is meant by "certain forms of sociopathic behavior" becoming a legitimate form of protest. Is it a political statement? It went over my head. It's not about the Los Angelos riots, is it?

I have nothing but praise for this book and enjoyed the entire read.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

Sponsored Links

christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 6:34pm
People riot and loot in LA in protest against poverty.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2009 at 6:38pm
I had just added an edit about the riots to my post and there your comment was when it loaded.
Thanks.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2009 at 11:03am
dnurse, I suggest you try to find a copy of the TV movie version, it was surprisingly effective.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2009 at 5:58am
Your post didn't register on the forum index and I didn't know it was here. I looked up the movie. It was made in 2000 as a 4 hour miniseries and has Billy Zane. I like Billy Zane. Did it stay close to the book's story line or go way out? I've never seen a movie based from a DK book and I would like to see a good one. I'll check Netflix for the title. One day I might actually join the darn thing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic