Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe Taking, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knightcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2004 at 10:49am

Loved it!  One of the first Koontz books I read back in high school was Phantoms, and I've never forgotten that very first "horror survival" feeling.  The Taking brought back all of those old feelings in me...I gobbled up the first half during a windstorm, and the next morning I awoke to a crash of summer thunder, it was a spectacular feeling. 

There were parts in this book that I just found simply too unbelievable, however.  The doll, talking heads, etc.  Which is strange, in my eyes, because Koontz is awesome at making me see things and really believing that they can happen--if the circumstances are just right.  But I tried to keep an open mind and it worked...had one hell of a ride.  Like his other books, Dean Koontz doesn't just tell you a story, he SINGS it to you in a melody that you just can't fall asleep to.

Note:  For those of you who loved this book and haven't yet played the game...there's one out there called Silent Hill.  This book reminded me of that game, try it.  It scared the crap out of me.

Mean to be something with all your might. -Phillip Brooks
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 6:13am

The Taking was weird for me at first, I have been a Koontz fan since I was in my teenage years and this one proved to have a completely different turn on things to what I was used to for ole Deany boy....

Loved the twist at the end though, still blows my mind when I think about those words....

dfla316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfla316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2005 at 1:52pm
i read half of this book and stopped, it was so dull compared to all other DK books
Cold_Fire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold_Fire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2005 at 4:47pm
This was a great book, definitely on my favorites list. I WILL read it again, a bit different, but nicely written and it was hard to put down. I give it a 5 Out Of 5!

Sadly though I didnt understand the ending, no matter how many times I read over it, i am not stupid or anything, but i dont get it, one example is that line something like "Some were screaming and yelling as they were lifted, but others were laughing, different destinations." What destinations? It left a lot of things unanswered for me.

Dont matter tho the rest was still awesome! but id really like to understand this so i can get a full feeling

Edited by Cold_Fire
gemtaur80 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemtaur80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/18/2005 at 6:09am

Some were going to heaven, some were going to hell.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic