Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFalse Memory, 1999

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquaguy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2009 at 7:55pm
Well, I just read this one. Its good for the most part, but I wasn't expecting the subject matter to be so similar to Night Chills. I would probably appreciate it a lot more had I not read the other first. The villain is certainly one of the best villains Koontz has come up with yet. Very evil... but I think I hated Dusty's mother more than him. lol The scene with him, his mother, skeet, derek, martie..ect was the best part of the book. I was hoping Martie would slap the sh8t out of her, but oh well. lol I have to say I laughed out loud when skeet was talking to the Keanuphobe about Keanu's movies. Skeet was funny without even trying to be.
Sponsored Links

dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 3:06pm
False Memory was awesome! I've been posting about it at the other forum. That ending left my head spinning.

Dr. Ahriman was one of the most frightening DK villains I've encountered.

"I'm listening."
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 11:49pm
When I read False Memory it was like I could FEEL how much fun Koontz was having with it. It was a bit campy and cheesy at times, but not in a bad way. It was a book that was a blast. I particularly enjoyed the whole Matrix conspiracy subplot.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2009 at 11:57pm
I just looked at that date, 1999, and realized that book is already a decade old. Damn, makes me feel quite old myself.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2009 at 3:33am
SPOILERS:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Originally posted by FinalExam FinalExam wrote:

I particularly enjoyed the whole Matrix conspiracy subplot.

Me too. That was one of those OMG moments. The lady in the pink was the one with the real psychosis and it was an obsession with Keanu Reeves! Keanuphobe. I laughed. "When you die in the matrix, you die for real....unless you're a machine." The irony that she was the one that killed the doctor was great. I liked it when she called him a machine because he didn't really listen or care. He really was an evil machine.

I had to laugh at the doctor several times. Especially when he was in the health food restaurant criticizing the patrons who ate there.

Loved the family dynamics at the confrontation at Skeet and Dusty's mom's house when Eric was on his way to extract "brains" from Lizard Lampton's head after he killed him. The whole thing was funny and terrible. I was in a daze with all that happened. Dusty shouting those trigger names from the novel at Eric was great adventure comedy.

The amazon.com "trolls" (as brotheroddkins calls them) was fun too.

I liked the "ride" DK gave me with this book. He led me into a dark depressed state with the sadness/tragedy of the incestuous child abuse rape scene between Dr. Ahriman and Susan along with Martie's anguish during her autophobia. I almost put the book down, I felt so bad. Then DK gradually built it up into a wild adventure of justice served. So many powerful emotions were evoked from me during this read.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic