Forum Home Forum Home > Scooters2.com Forums > Scooter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNo subject

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
don-ohio View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No subject
    Posted: July/23/2003 at 3:05am

No, they aren't hard on belts,from what I've seen. And they are a great idea for moped power transmission. I would just want to make sure that the variator is of very high quality as far as rollers and weights construction goes(the Honda PA 50 probably has a good one, and maybe the Vespa Grande. The MBK variator that took Walter Muma 11,500 miles one summer must've bveen a good one! Peugeot has them also and I've ridden one.). Also, these weights can be varied on `snail kits', but I'm not sure about moped variators.

Jim C., Zippy, and others are more versed to talk about variators. I like the principle.....I've just never done a 200+ mi. trip on a moped with one, or run one 6000 miles with no heavy maintenance like I have the geared trannies. If Chris MWH and I could have landed those franco-Morini M101 engines, I could have told you a lot more about variators. don-ohio   

Sponsored Links

TargaWal View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TargaWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2003 at 2:29pm
Do the belts "wear out" and have to be replaced? Seems a little too much for a little moped, doesn't it?

_wal
2001 Tomos Targa LX
2001 Avanti SuperSport
2001 Cosmo Stinger
1979 Motobecane 50VLA
1979 Garelli VIP
1977 Garelli SuperSport
1963 Honda Dream 305

www.myronsmopeds.com
Targa5150 View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targa5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2003 at 12:42pm

O I C...

So there is no actual Tranny. Interesting.. Im stiill questioning the reliability though. In the next few years I will be looking for A new something. But the price for the TFRs are promising.

Alan

Ride Safe, Ride Free!
Southern California
Previous peds:
'80 Puch Newport II (used)
'92 Tomos G.Bullet TTLX (new)
'00 Tomos Targa LX (new)
Now:
'05 Yellow Targa LX (45mph)
don-ohio View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don-ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2003 at 12:37pm
  Naw, they're old hat Wal! Cheap too! keeps `em from havin' to build intricate trannies. don-ohio 
TargaWal View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TargaWal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2003 at 9:27am
Wow, that sounds rather intricate, but makes total sense. I remember the Subaru Justy being one of the first cars in the U.S. introduced with the CVT (continuously variable transmission), back in about 1988. It was a pretty big deal at the time. Is a variator a big deal for mopeds? I'm sorry for all the inane questioning, but this is all rather new to me...

_wal
2001 Tomos Targa LX
2001 Avanti SuperSport
2001 Cosmo Stinger
1979 Motobecane 50VLA
1979 Garelli VIP
1977 Garelli SuperSport
1963 Honda Dream 305

www.myronsmopeds.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic