Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Dean Koontz book reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreathless (2009)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breathless (2009)
    Posted: December/01/2009 at 5:56am
No Spoilers:

This book intrigued me page after page. He keeps a sense of mystery throughout the entire story. When I closed the book I felt inspired. This book is another of my favorite Koontz stories. I have no room for a top 10 at all when it comes to DK. Puzzle and Riddle and the entire story filled me with a sense of wonder. The meaning found in the "chaos" left me with a feeling of contentment and happiness. I love it when Koontz tells a story with an array of characters that come together with a profound connection in a grand finale. I was very satisfied with the villains' downfall and particularly loved reading how one was mentally tormented and the twist involved with his section. Watching Homeland Security attempting to take over and contain the situation was an eye opener to the dangers of their misuse of power. The "good guys" in this story won me over. Their personal triumphs were heartwarming. I really got into the arguments against Darwin's evolution theories. I'm reading parts of it again with the added insight the ending gave me. The book is not written with DK's style of humorous back and forth dialogue (which I enjoy too) but relies more on longer narratives in each chapter section. I think that's the correct description. I'm not good with with writing eloquent literary reviews. It still has DK's great sense of humor, he just used a different style of delivery as he has done in other of his books. And if you are an animal lover, you'll enjoy this book and "get it." I had fun contemplating the significance of the "what if" in regards to the "main event" of this book. Really, what if that happened?!!

Such a great book for me. I felt joy at the ending.

10/10
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

Sponsored Links

SlimMackenzie View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlimMackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 1:16pm
Wow, 10/10 really? I haven't read it yet, but now I am looking forward to it.

We disagreed of YHBTM, so I am curious of your "out of 10" rating for that novel.
The other night I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
-Rodney Dangerfield
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 2:46pm
Well, YHBTM was a 10/10 too for me.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

brotheroddkins View Drop Down
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brotheroddkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 12:46am
Minor Spoilers:

I went into this book with the belief that it was a return to scifi but it was a lot more. The only problem I have with the book is it seemed like a lot of different books running at the same time.

First, we have Grady and Cammy's story. Throw in Puzzle and Riddle and we have a good E. T. type book. Parts of it did remind me of that movie. You have a lot of mystery with other animals acting strange and such.

Then, we have Henry's story. It took awhile to figure out what was going on there. I won't give away the twist at the end because it's quite disturbing.

Then, there is Lamar's story. The science in that was very interesting. Tom's story which is strange and wonderful at the same time. I like how Dean brought back the coyotes. Tom's journey collides with Liddon's story (which I thought didn't have a complete resolution). I liked how it all came together.

But I also wished he had explained the creatures more. You are left hanging as to what they are. Are they animals? Are they even real? Are they transcendant beings? (this last one is my firm belief).

He dedicated the book Aesop. I'll have to think about what the fable in this tale is. But I know one of the themes is redemption, which seems to be a theme flowing through a lot of Koontz's works lately.

Reading: The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan & Urban Gothic by Brian Keene

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons even death may die.
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2009 at 8:09am
Spoilers:

I liked how all the stories fit into the theme of Lamar's searching for patterns in chaotic systems. Also, I was expecting several chapters of chase scenes once Homeland Security arrived to the scene. It was a change up from Koontz's pursuit style with villains. Instead, Cammy and Grady just accepted that they were coming. Reading about how the government could just take over and do what they wanted was frightening. I read up on Aesop's Fables and the main thing with them is that they are "beast fables involving anthropomorphic animals" and they are "a popular choice for moral education of children." I liked the discussions on the flaws of Darwin's theory of evolution and how the sudden appearance of Riddle and Puzzle into the world was used as a "supernatural" alternative explanation. Since I'm religious, I interpret it as that they were brought by God into the world. Especially with Grady's decpiction of the light that appeared in the meadow when he first saw them. Tom changing morally for the better by witnessing this event was a powerful part of the story. Koontz leaves it open because as he said in his interviews, it's in the subtext and he's not preachy. It could be interpreted as Scifi too. I like this interpretive approach DK uses in his stories. I'm currently reading Grady's and Cammy's sections again. I get such a kick out of Puzzle and Riddle. I see them as cute fuzzy sea otter looking creatures with big pretty round eyes. I thought they were described in such an adorable way. I laughed when they took over Grady's bed and he said "Just so you know...I consider this mutiny. Mutiny indeed. And in the morning discipline will be administered."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic