Forum Home Forum Home > TV/Movie/music Forums > Buffy the Vampire Slayer forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWolves at the Gate (Buffy the Vampire Sla

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wolves at the Gate (Buffy the Vampire Sla
    Posted: May/03/2009 at 6:00pm
Wolves at the Gate is actually the third “Season Eight” tale (the show concluded after seven seasons, but the story continues!); the first arc was written by creator Joss Whedon, number two focused on Faith and was written by my old pal Brian K. Vaughan, and Wolves at the Gate comes to us from Lost / Alias / Cloverfield / Angel / and of course writer Drew Goddard.

As I said in the podcast, Wolves at the Gate is one of the ten best graphic novels I have ever read. No, you don’t need to know very much about ’s universe to enjoy this story. All you really need to know is that there is a super powered girl named who, you know, slays vampires and that she is currently training a stack of other super powered girls to fight the good fight.

The other major character in this story is Dracula, the vampire of legend, who opposed at one point on her television program but fights on the side of the slayers in Wolves at the Gate thanks to his friendship with Buffy’s lieutenant Xander.

Dracula is scary and capable… and hilariously racist in this volume.

I think that one of the things that I really liked about Wolves at the Gate is how successfully Drew Goddard maintained the witty banter of the television in his storytelling.

Sponsored Links

masha99 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2009 at 2:58am
I liked Wolves at the Gate. Xander-Dracula male bonding was great, and there was one part early on (which I won't spoil) that was one of the funniest Buffy scenes ever. I heard the next issue isn't nearly as good, but I'll read it anyway because my library has it.

I actually like that the comic books address the big unresolved question at the end of the show. With ALL these girls given the power at once, with no watchers to properly train them, how exactly will they use that newfound power. Also, will the increased number of slayers result in more demons or general bad guys, to "balance out" the universe. I give the writers credit for addressing this in the "sequels" instead of just writing brainless stuff.
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2009 at 6:18am
Okay, it's official, you're a Buffyverse Geek now Masha. ;-) Am I going to be next?
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

masha99 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2009 at 2:28pm
LOL. Do I get a badge or something? My 11YO son's friend came over the other day and he was laughing so hard when he saw I was reading a comic. I was trying to say it's a "graphic novel" but my son said that sounds like a PC term.

I think they have Angel comics as well, but I don't know if Joss is involved with those.
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2010 at 1:51am
As much of a rabid fan of teh show I was, it's surprising even to me how much I avoid these comics, especially with Joss's involvement. I just hated the first story arc so much, felt it threw out everything that made the show work, that I've stayed far away from them since.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic