Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > The Book Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDEAD SEA - Brian Keene

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2009 at 10:20pm
I liked the open ending. I mean, you pretty much knwo it's hopeless, he doesnt' have to say it. I thought he managed to write a fast-paced book that kept me hooked the whole time, and I read some criticisms that the characters were all paper thin but I found them engaging and interesting.

What did you guys think about all the archetype talk? I thought it was a good idea but Keene used it TOO much, that it started to get annoying and people didn't really sit around and talk about things like that.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 5:07am
I wrote out this long $*&^%&*&!! reply then the forum ate it - sheesh!! Bet it doesn't eat this one.
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2009 at 10:11am
patti, that's why I always copy my response before I get "Post Reply" now. I want to hear your long reply...
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2009 at 4:44pm
SPOILERS
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

I don't even remember what I wrote I was so mad!

Basically I thought it was a great quick read and right about when I started thinking it was beginning to get repetitive and wondering how he was going to end it all (about 2 chapters from the end) - he managed to tie it all up nicely. I enjoyed the pace of the book, it never got boring, not even for a second, although it was a tad graphic for my taste and I did skim over the vivid descriptions after the first few chapters.

I actually thought the archetype conversation was interesting and certainly plausible considering the circumstances. I'm sure they had discussed the situation at hand to death (no pun intended) and they wouldn't be chatting about who was voted out on American Idol or Dancing With The The Stars, no current baseball or football games to discuss, so after awhile philosophical conversations would come into play, plus the older professor guy was a father figure to Lamar so it makes sense he would want to impart some of his wisdom on him.

It was also a perfect opportunity for Keene to introduce Joseph Campbell to the readers.

What I don't get is how there was only one guy on the oilrig, it doesn't make any sense to me, unless I skimmed over the part that explained it.

"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
Belladonna View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Belladonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2009 at 12:20am
I also liked the archetype talk was good. I thought it was an interesting addition to the story.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic