Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > The Book Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLIVE GIRLS - Ray Garton

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:39pm
Makes me feel like an underachiever, here I am almost 34 and mostly just small press and ezine credits under my belt.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:40pm
One writer you could invite is Jonathan Maberry, who has posted here in the past and is considered a rising star in the horror genre. GHOST ROAD BLUES was a blast to read.
"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.” Dean Koontz

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:43pm
Yeah, I really enjoyed Ghost Road Blues, I've got to get to reading the two sequels.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
RayGarton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayGarton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 1:25pm
The signed first editions are pretty pricey. Somehow, my work has become quite collectible over the years. I am stunned at the prices some people will pay for some of my books. It's actually very moving and makes me feel good, but damn ... some of those books are expensive!

I will turn 46 in December. I was 23 or 24 when I wrote LIVE GIRLS. I started writing stories at about the same time I learned to write. I wrote my first full-length novel with a beginning, middle, and end and characters who evolved over the course of the story when I was in the seventh grade. It SUCKED, of course, but it was a novel, heh-heh. I loved doing it so much, I kept at it. By the time I sold SEDUCTIONS, I like to think I was better at it, and I hope I've improved since then.

As for interacting with my readers -- I live for it! Writing is a very solitary occupation. I sit here in my office and type and type and type, and sometimes it's easy to forget that people actually READ this stuff! I can't tell you how good it feels to learn that someone enjoyed something I wrote -- it means the world to me. As an avid reader my whole life, I know how much pleasure a book can bring, and if something I've written does that for someone, I'm very, very happy. It's really the only reason I do this.
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 2:47pm
I've also been writing since I could write, my first stories these little one page rip-offs. I just get off on telling stories, and I love hearing from other writers about their experiences.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic