Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Harry Potter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo Dumbledor is gay...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2007 at 4:57am
And actually, while it is not overt or blatant, there are definitely hints in the final book that make it plausible to me. Before that book, with everything from harry's point of view, there was no reason Harry would know this or it was relevant, and while I might have liked her to be more blatant in the final book, it still wasn't totally relevant, but it is subtlely layered in, so I do believe she always meant him to be gay. I do think she had ulterior motives for masking it, to keep from alienating certain fans, and I don't completley agree wtih that, but I don't doubt she knew tihs about him, the same way I know things about characters--including their sexual orientation--but don't always include it in the stories.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

MONSTER View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Aye Viene El Monstruo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MONSTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 7:59am
Yall are mad deep yo!!
I wounder if she did have an ulterior motive, but maybe she did'nt, look at the people in power today, what do we really know about them behind closed doors. Nothing for the most part, just little things that slip out. And what was Dumbledor but a man of Power and influence, we got are little tid bits from the history lesson in hallows(which was nessesary for the story), only little things that made sence when you think about him being gay, I dont think we the Readers were supose to know, just wounder like we do of our own leaders.
In the end it doest mater who's "boneing" what&who, its just todays climate that makes it an issue, in the years to come sexuality wont make a diference, we just need some more growing up to do.
and i think Rowling knew that.
"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right." Isaac Asimov
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2007 at 4:10pm
Neil Gaiman has some info on his blog, confirming that writers often know more than they put on the page(I'm really surprised that more people don't understand this, I thought it was common knowledge), and even said one of the major characters in Neverwhere is gay but it was never revealed in the book. The frustrating thing is he didn't say who, so now I need to reread it again to try to figure it out. lol
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 10:31am
JK Rowling Stunned By Fans’ Reaction To Gay Dumbledore

by Chris Georg      17:00, October 25th 2007

JK Rowling Stunned By Fans’ Reaction To Gay Dumbledore

After she shook the entire Harry Potter fans community by revealing that Albus Dumbledore, the Hogwarts headmaster, was gay, British author J.K. Rowling said she was surprised by the reaction her announcement caused.

The news about Dumbledore’s sexuality sparked no less than 3,000 comments on Leaky Cauldron, a Harry Potter fansite, forcing Rowling to admit her astonishment.

"It has certainly never been news to me that a brave and brilliant man could love other men," Rowling said continuing to defend her character saying: "He is my character. He is what he is and I have the right to say what I say about him."

She knew "early on" that Dumbledore was gay, "probably before the first book was published," Rowling told reporters before reading to fans at the International Festival of Authors. She spent seven years writing before the first installment in the series went to print in 1997.

"The characters came more and more into focus as I worked and I can't honestly say there was a moment when I decided that," she said. "It's just something I knew or came to know."

While many readers and fans considered the writer’s remark unnecessary since a character’s sexuality doesn’t change the storyline in any way, some were thrilled by the new light cast upon Dumbledore, a very respectable and powerful wizard. Those unpleased by the news complained of the lack of hints concerning Dumbledore’s intimate life, yet Rowling said she didn’t want to spell it out for her readers.

And in case you were wondering why Rowling disclosed such a fact now, after all seven books were published and the story finished, Rowling simply said: "Because I was asked a direct question at Carnegie Hall."

"I answered honestly. I suppose the other half of the answer is that Dumbledore's ill-fated infatuation was a key part of the plot of Book 7," she explained, adding that breaking the news was quite freeing for her as well since she often "felt like a salmon swimming upstream" while writing the books.

"There were so many theories and people wanted so much information in advance of the stories that I, just to keep my sanity and keep my eye on my own plot, did not give masses away ahead of time because I needed to remain focused," she said, adding that the passages about him will mean different things to different readers.

"I think a child will see a friendship and I think a sensitive adult may well understand that it was an infatuation," she was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2007 at 11:38am
I do believe she didn't spell it out in the final book, the only one where I felt it would have been relevant, just to save herself the grief of a mass controversy over it; I understand that but am not sure how I feel about it. That said, I'm surprised by the people who don't believe her. Someone on another board posted a quote from a critic that said she misinterpreted her own work. I was like, WHAT?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic