FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo Dumbledor is gay...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 11:39pm
Well, I think everybody subtly or not so subtly puts their own politics in their books. As a gay man myself, the thing is I dont' think just the fact that someone is gay should be a political statement. It's silly. I mean, being straight isn't a political statement. But because of the climate in this country, the very fact that I'm out of the closet people think is a political statement. So just the fact that she said a character is gay, to me at least, didn't seem the least bit political because, who the hell cares? I realize that a lot of people care, but I think it is mountains out of molehills.

That said, I actually think her decision not to state it outright in the book was a political choice, done not to alienate a certain fanbase, and that does bother me somewhat.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

Einsteingooddog View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einsteingooddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by FinalExam FinalExam wrote:

Yes, right, because what Potter needed was more publicity...

Haven't read the rest of this thread after this point yet, but I didn't mean publicity for Potter I meant publicity for her politics...just to clarify
Currently reading: The Shack by William P. Young

Just Finished:Odd Hours
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 12:20pm
I don't think that in fiction usually, although sometimes I do joke about it like with the Ron and Harry thing. (In Goblet, what was the important thing he had to rescuse from the mer-people? Ron! lol) But I once read a book of critical essays of Stephen King's fiction, and the author saw homoeroticism in every single book where two guys were friends. It was kind of freaky and said more about the guy writing the essays than King.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 5:41am
Even FE fell for that one, Masha. He kept thinking Ron/Harry were gay. I know, FE, you were just kidding.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
masha99 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2008 at 5:38am
I just have a problem when people see two guys being really close friends and immediately think "gay". Why is that? I don't get it at all.
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic