Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Stephen King forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBag of Bones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2007 at 11:48am
He has always had a tendancy to go on--The Stand--but earlier in his career I felt he was more open to the editing process. I mean, novels like The Shining, Salem's Lot, Dead Zone, Cujo, even Firestarter though I hated that novel--they were tightly paced. Now he goes off on tangents that burden the novels down, but I think publishers and editors let him get by with it because he is an institution at this point.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

SecretWindow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SecretWindow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 10:40am
Yeah I thought the same about books like Misery and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon(even though I hated that book). They were just the right length, concluding on the point of stretching their borders. I thought The Stand seemed prolonged and that there were too many unnecessary parts in it that I really could have done without completely. I mean I "read it", but I didn't really really "read it".lol. I was just anxious to get onto a new book by the time I was coming to pages 1200 onwards. And it's never a good sign when you're trying to sprint your way to the finish line with a book in order to get to the next as soon as possible. But the best books are always the ones that have a tendency to round up on around page 400. A lot of Ramsey Campbell's books are like that in The Darkest Part of The Woods and The Overnight. They were books that are short, but ones that you don't just skim through.....If that makes sense. You really get caught up in the story. And that's why I can't understand why not many people comment on books like FAB8 and Gerald's Games because none are either lengthy, and his short story collections aren't that demanding either if you read maybe one story a day, with the exception of Nightmare's and Dreamscapes, which is fairly long. But people always complain lately about his books being unnecessarily long, but I mean if you're being entertained by his books, then what difference does it matter; you won't even realize you've read it all when you're done. It was the same scenario after I finished the final Dark Tower book. I read that at lightning speed for how long it was, and I'm not normally a fast reader, I just give myself plenty of free time to do it.
I dislike Harold Bloom
breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 10:43am
Well, I didn't really enjoy the GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON either, and that book was quite short. King just has a tendency to ramble on these days, without much momentum in his plot. I like longer books it they're well constructed, but many of King's more recent books fail this test.

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 10:47am
The Stand is a book that is very long but he had me hooked the whole time. I agree that if a book is really good the length doesn't matter, so I guess it's not that so many of his books are long these days, its' just that he doesn't create worlds that are as interesting to me or characters as vivid as he used to. At least not in my opinion.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2007 at 4:05pm
I've read a few 1,000+ page books that are some of the best books ever. If they can hold the pace of a rocket, like A Storm of Swords, I say screw brevity. I wanted that book to last 5,000 pages, and it was a short 1,223 pages.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic