Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Harry Potter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOfficial Deathly Hallows SPOILER discussion!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Deathly Hallows SPOILER discussion!
    Posted: July/25/2007 at 7:57am
Just so we don't have to warn about spoilers.

Get the ef out now if you don't want to be spoiled. Oh, and get out if you haven't read the book. If you think you aren't going to eventually, well, you are!

So, where to start.

What I liked...

- All of the references to the other books, which gave me a nice feeling of, oh man, this series is about to end. Surprisingly one of the fan favorites didn't get that much mention, PoA.

- We finally get to meet the Muggle Studies teacher, Charity Burbage! lol I know, who cares! Well, that was HP gold to me. I like knowing all the teachers' names, if just that. Too bad she had to die and poor Snape had to witness it.

- Dobby and Kreacher make an appearance! Dobby saves the day, but dies. Kreacher turns a new leaf and joins the battle of Hogwarts. Way better house elves than Winky.

- I'm glad we finally meet Aberforth. I was surprised to find that it was him in Sirius' mirror, but it makes sense.

- Rowling seemed to be laughing at the stupid Dumbledore is alive theories. I hated those theories. Every time Ron said maybe he was alive and than Hermione made fun of him for it was gold.

- Every Weasley twin moment was hilarious, as always. "Of all the jokes that go along with missing ears, you choose holey."

- Peeves little song at the end "...Voldy's gone moldy..."

- "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

- No dumb ending, where 19 years later his scar hurt him.

- Percy coming back and joining the Weasley family before they are broken apart. Making a joke about Thicknesse, and turned him into a miniature Lock Ness!

- Everyone showing up for the Battle of Hogwarts made me happy, knowing they supported Harry so much.

- Potterwatch, hosted by Lee Jordan. So great to have him back, he's always funny.

- Kingsley Shacklebolt just being a bada$s.

- Dean Thomas having a role. He's always been one of my favorite characters. He was originally the Neville role.

- Speaking of Neville, he was great in this book. Really liked how he was one of the leaders at messing with the 'Snape regime' at Hogwarts.

- I absolutely loved how they visited a bunch of the magical places. Ministry of Magic, Luna's house, Gringotts, Malfoy Manor, Godric's Hollow, and Grimmuald Place.

- The history behind Godric's Hollow and how it connected Harry/Dumbledore/ and even the Deathly Hallows together.

- Deathly Hallows idea alone was gold. I really liked how the Cloak, introduced in the first book, saves Harry's life from the killing curse. Also really liked how the Tales of the Beedle Bard paralelled Harry/cloak Voldemort/Elder Wand Dumbledore/resurrection stone.

- Umbridge stealing Moody's eye, just made me hate her more, which I like hating her.

- Amycus Carrow is the final DaDA teacher. Dumb sister, Alecto, Muggle Studies teacher. Funny how they tried to indoctrinate the students, but it didn't really work.

- Hagrid throws a "Support Harry Potter" party. That was hilarious.

What I didn't like...

- No Ludo Bagman. I just wanted more on his fate.

- I also wanted to know George's fate after the most sad death of his twin.

- The romance. And the bickering between three main characters. Though they had reason enough, it got on my nerves.

- More Department of Mysteries please.

- I wanted more appearances of past characters that I love. Also, when they were travelling, some places they traveled were boring.

My predictions...

- Severus Snape was a good guy, and would die. The manner in which he died was different then I expected.

- R.A.B. is Regulus Black. The moment I read about RAB, it took about one minute to think of Regulus. Mainly because I had read the fifth book four times, and how he got cold feet on Voldemort fit the theory well. What I could never understant though, was how he got past the potion. Now that it all makes sense, I'm happy.

- Wormtail died. Don't know why, but that seemed obvious. I wasn't happy with all the Marauders dying. We need Lupin and Tonks to raise Teddy. I'm sure Harry will be a good godfather, but come on JK, killing Lupin! Tonks' father had died earlier with Dirk Cresswell and a goblin. Tonks' family was really torn apart.

- Voldemort dying, duh.

- I was wrong about Hagrid dying, but I think he is the character that got a reprieve as JK so lightly put it. He almost died twice.

- I had actually thought that Fleur was a traitor. Mainly because the Death Eaters knew about the seven Potters.

Other deaths...

- Vincent Crabbe, that guy was crazy near the end.

- Rufus Scrimgeour, went good with the story.

- Grindelwald, I had thought he had already died at the hands of Dumbledore, but Voldemort ends up killing.

- Colin Creevey- Dang, I really liked this kid, especially in the 2nd and 4th years.

- Bellatrix Lestrange- YES!

- Hedwig- Shocker, but then thinking about it, it would have been strange lugging an owl around every where they went.

- Alastor Moody- Everyone's favorite Auror.

- Am I the only one that remembers Bode? Unspeakable mentioned in GoF and killed in OotP. I know, doesn't have to do with DH, but he was so cool.

- Bathilda Bagshot- so cool meeting her, I never gave her a thought, but she was mentioned in just about every book, because of A History of Magic. Cool connections to Dumbledore.

- Nagini gets what it deserves.

- Gregorovitch, eh, didn't know him.

A lot more later.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
Sponsored Links

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 8:49am
I enjoyed the book, although I thought it needed a good edit, especially with all that Apparating/bickering stuff. The epilogue I could have done without. It was strange not being at Hogwarts the whole time, made the book feel different. Like you, all the past references really made things start to feel final. It was a flawed novel, but overall I thought a decent, solid ending to a great series.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 8:54am
I liked a few things in the Epilogue.

- Professor Neville Longbottom

- Albus Severus

- I found a few of the things humorous. Ron saying he was extremely famous.

What I expected from the epilogue though was the fate of a bunch of the characters, and how their lives turned out. Not some linear chapter about one small event in the future.
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 8:56am
I did like the thing about Neville, although I wanted him to be the headmaster(and failing that, who was?), and that line of Ron's was funny. My problem with it was it was too neat, too tidy, tying everything up in a nice little bow like that. I sort of felt this was the future she was envisioning, I didn't need it spelled out for me like that.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2007 at 8:57am
P.S. I for one did not like the lack of comeuppance for the Malfoy family.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic