Forum Home Forum Home > Moped2.org Forums > Moped
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBatavus Top Speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckyleaf6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batavus Top Speed
    Posted: July/22/2007 at 3:27pm
I obtained a 1978 ish Batavus Regency moped over 10 years ago. Since then, I have torn the engine down and rebuilt it many times. The thing runs great and the clutch seems to run great. Just recently I have discovered on the side of the carb a little piston (about 1/8" dia, 1/2" length) just off center of the throttle cable. After playing with it trying to figure out what it is, I came to the conclusion that it is some sort of choke mechanism. I concluded this from the fact that at full speed, when you pull the piston out, the engine starts to have trouble running, as if you opened the choke on an old lawn mower. Looking at the pattern of chambers behind the gasket, it seems that when you pull the piston out, more gas can get sucked into the engine, richining up the mixture entering the combustion chamber, sort of the same principle as the choke function on a lawn mower. Is this in fact what it is?

On another note, this moped has a speedometer that goes up to 40mph. The fastest I have ever gone on it fully assembled is 30 (down hill). It seems that the RPM is maxed out at this speed. I started to wonder if I could get that 10 mph out of it somehow without overrevving. The answer seems to be the clutch. But I am not sure if at full speed it is locked up at 1 to 1. It seems like it is at 1 to 1 because when you squeeze the starter engager (which forces the clutch plates together) there is not a drop in rpm or increase in torque. I am also not sure if a top speed of 30 is the norm for this type of moped. My question is do you think the clutch is slipping causing the low top speed, or is 30 a normal top speed and I should look elsewhere for speed.

The next search for speed would be changing the gearing, either on the other end of the clutch belt, or chain sprocket on the left side of the bike. Do alternate gears exist for this type of moped or will I have to fabricate something?

thank you for your help!
Nick
Sponsored Links

donp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Master Regional Rider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2007 at 7:31pm
that IS the choke. it pulls up with the little lever on your right hand side, under the throttle.
all bats are 20, 25, or 30 mph bikes. they are restricted by;
carb
intake
intake port size
exhaust port size
exhaust pipe
the easiest way to get more speed is to upjet the carb, and install a performance exhaust. the stock bat exhaust is extremely restrictive.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic