Forum Home Forum Home > Freshlinks.net Forums > News from around the world
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDan Simmons on the Iraq/Middle East Situation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 2:03am
Yeah, WW, you go first and let me know:)

Chris, I came across a review of Martin that was very positive but said you will like his work if you don't like "standard" fantasy stuff, such as clear cut struggle of good vs. evil and the hero always winning at the end. But that IS what I like about fantasy, so I don't know if Martin is my cup of tea.
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
Sponsored Links

christophersnow View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2007 at 6:10am
Quote this is the largest literary undertaking I've ever loved to read.
-OSC
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
Dean Koontz= Always working!
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 6:59am
Well, in Martin there are ambiguous situations. But it's war, come one, there will always be situations like that in war and politics. There are good characters, and there are evil characters. There are evil 'religions' and there are good religions in the books. And I really can't see how that person can say the good guys don't win in the end because the end of the series hasn't come yet. Sometimes the good guys die, sometimes the bad guys die. That's not a matter of winning in the end. That's a matter of reality. Like in Harry Potter; Rowling kills off more good people than she does bad. That is a far worse record than Martin has, his is about 1:1 ratio.

House the show has many morally ambiguous situations, and you like that...
"It had to be said. The world is perishing from an orgy of self-sacrificing." - Howard Roark
masha99 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masha99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 9:22am
I can deal with a flawed protagonist like House. I can't deal with a flawed moral system within the "good" universe, a la Star Wars prequels.

Martin will have to wait in any case as my library just acquired Queen of Bedlam. And I still have HP, Book 7.
Maybe all you've got is what you get to... -- Brad Cotter
Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent -- Ayn Rand/Terry Goodkind
Guru
Guru
"Snowballman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christophersnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2007 at 11:16am
You must have a nice library. My library never seems to acquire these good books.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic