Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Writer's Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoom Where No One Died Part 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 3:08am
I finished "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" last week. I don't think it works as well as this one. It doesn't operate as a mystery, it's more straight forward, because I want all the Hudson stories to have a different flavor.

As for the gay thing, not all my stories feature gay characters, but I write whatever comes to me when I get the idea. I mean, since sexuality is rarely an issue of the story, I could make any of my gay characters straight and any of my straight characters gay for the most part without effecting the story. However, when I get an idea, I just KNOW who the characters are. That may not make sense, but it is part of the package I get with the idea. And my boyfriend actually has expressed a concern like yours, wondering if some editors dismissed my work because of the gay characters. I don't know, I'd like to think we are past that, but if I knew they did, I wouldn't stop because to do otherwise would be selling out my integrity. And for the few editors who have posed the question, "Why make the characters gay if the story isn't ABOUT that?" I simply say, "I'm gay and my life isn't ABOUT that, so why should fictional characters be any different."
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Sponsored Links

breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 3:22am
In most of the novels I read, the gay characters are usually in supporting roles and do little more than offer flamboyant comic relief. It's nice to read a story where the gay characters are serious and three dimensional human beings.

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.” Dean Koontz

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 3:38am
I agree, I actually wrote a short story once about a "lounge" where all these supporting characters go, and their last names are their function. Ralph Gayfriend, Linda Fatfriend, Mona Sluttyfriend.

It reminds me of a story about this scifi movie from the seventies called "The Man who Fell to Earth," and an actor playing a gay character asked the director why his character was gay if it wasn't important to the plot, and the director just shrugged and said, "Because there are gay people."
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Oddy View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 11:15am
Originally posted by FinalExam FinalExam wrote:

I finished "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" last week. I don't think it works as well as this one. It doesn't operate as a mystery, it's more straight forward, because I want all the Hudson stories to have a different flavor.

As for the gay thing, not all my stories feature gay characters, but I write whatever comes to me when I get the idea. I mean, since sexuality is rarely an issue of the story, I could make any of my gay characters straight and any of my straight characters gay for the most part without effecting the story. However, when I get an idea, I just KNOW who the characters are. That may not make sense, but it is part of the package I get with the idea. And my boyfriend actually has expressed a concern like yours, wondering if some editors dismissed my work because of the gay characters. I don't know, I'd like to think we are past that, but if I knew they did, I wouldn't stop because to do otherwise would be selling out my integrity. And for the few editors who have posed the question, "Why make the characters gay if the story isn't ABOUT that?" I simply say, "I'm gay and my life isn't ABOUT that, so why should fictional characters be any different."

I hope the editors are passed that, and I'm glad you value integrity over money. Anyway, I liked the story.

Please post more of your stories.
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious"
~Michael Scott in The Office
crashtestwoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crashtestwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2007 at 12:09pm
Well I really enjoyed the story, gay character or not. It had a real twist at the end that I wasn't prepared for and I loved the fact that the main character was so interested in the money (made him quite human). Such a shame that it wasn't picked up (there loss I say) and I just know that I will be seeing your moniker on the front cover of a book real soon if that is a taste of what you have to offer.
One comment though, I would loved to have been in the room with the previous owner when he made peace with his friend. Kinda psychological twist to the whole story (which I like) but overall I loved it.
Good work.
I am a calm person and I live in a calm world. I keep telling myself that and one day it might work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic