FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRoom Where No One Died Part 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
breezit View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breezit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 3:22am
In most of the novels I read, the gay characters are usually in supporting roles and do little more than offer flamboyant comic relief. It's nice to read a story where the gay characters are serious and three dimensional human beings.

"In the real world as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.” Dean Koontz

Sponsored Links

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2007 at 3:08am
I finished "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" last week. I don't think it works as well as this one. It doesn't operate as a mystery, it's more straight forward, because I want all the Hudson stories to have a different flavor.

As for the gay thing, not all my stories feature gay characters, but I write whatever comes to me when I get the idea. I mean, since sexuality is rarely an issue of the story, I could make any of my gay characters straight and any of my straight characters gay for the most part without effecting the story. However, when I get an idea, I just KNOW who the characters are. That may not make sense, but it is part of the package I get with the idea. And my boyfriend actually has expressed a concern like yours, wondering if some editors dismissed my work because of the gay characters. I don't know, I'd like to think we are past that, but if I knew they did, I wouldn't stop because to do otherwise would be selling out my integrity. And for the few editors who have posed the question, "Why make the characters gay if the story isn't ABOUT that?" I simply say, "I'm gay and my life isn't ABOUT that, so why should fictional characters be any different."
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Oddy View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2007 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by FinalExam FinalExam wrote:

Thanks for your comments and your criticsms. I actually sort of left Cole and Shaw undeveloped on purpose. Since the story was from Hudson's point of view, he just isn't interested in anyone's life, just getting the job done. I do understand how that could be considered frustrating for the reader, though.

I plan to do a series of stories about Hudson's investigations. I am already writing the second one, entitled "Breaking Up is Hard to Do."

That's great news because after finishing the story I thought that Hudson had potential to be a series character. I liked the twist at the end. Very enjoyable story.

Before my next comment, let me say I am not homophobic, and I am not against gay people. I think this was discussed, but can the gay couples reoccuring be hindering your work? Can gay prejudice be a factor?

Anyway, PLEASE post the next Hudson as soon as it's finished. I loved the "moving on" nod to Odd thomas. Lingering spirits.
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious"
~Michael Scott in The Office
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2007 at 12:03am
Well, I submitted the story yesterday to that anthology, and today I got a rejection that said simply, "This story is not a fit for this anthology." Disappointing, but not to be all ego-crazy, but I really believe in this story and will keep putting it out there. Then again, many of the stories I've believed in over the years have never found homes, while stories I think are mediocre or pure crap place in magazines right away. Still, I consider this a high point in my recent work.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2007 at 8:30am
Thanks for your comments and your criticsms. I actually sort of left Cole and Shaw undeveloped on purpose. Since the story was from Hudson's point of view, he just isn't interested in anyone's life, just getting the job done. I do understand how that could be considered frustrating for the reader, though.

I plan to do a series of stories about Hudson's investigations. I am already writing the second one, entitled "Breaking Up is Hard to Do."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic