Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Writer's Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPlaying Possum Part 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/17/2007 at 2:05pm
Interesting story. Not my cup of tee genre wise, but I guess anything well written can work as a short story. I can't really think of anything to make the story better, I honestly don't think backstory is necessary in this particular tale.

I'm curious whether you have written a thriller/Koontz like story. If you have, I'd be interested in reading that.

I personally liked ACTS better than this, but both are very publishable in my opinion.
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious"
~Michael Scott in The Office
Sponsored Links

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2007 at 4:28am
My stories tend to be more in the Twilight Zone-esque vein than anything Koontz has written.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 3:33am
Originally posted by FinalExam FinalExam wrote:

My boyfriend actually thinks that just by making my characters gay that I'm alienating certain editors. I don't know if that's true or not, I certainly would like to think in this day and age that wouldnt' be the case, but I write what I enjoy.

Still, the couple may not seem realistic. I mean, maybe I do need more backstory to flesh them out. The problem is that the story is already pushing the limit of what most magazines will consider in regards to word count, so I will need to find some other stuff to cut. Any ideas?
Unfortunately, your boyfriend has a point. I think the editors are dancing around being politically correct. They are looking for something with a mass appeal. That's a tough choice for you to make. I liked the quirkiness of the possum along with the dialogue. That was the part I enjoyed most. I understand with short stories it's hard to get in depth with a character, I'm not sure what you would need to flesh out.In the beginning, I liked the lighthearted and funny atmosphere. Personally, I was hoping the possum was still going to be there. Maybe it should be kept more comical and surreal. The only line that I questioned was when he was surprised that the possum knew he was a painter. The possum had already demonstrated his hidden knowledge. But that was very minor. I liked it and found it entertaining.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

FinalExam View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalExam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2008 at 12:33pm
Well, not every story I write has gay characters, but because I am gay, more times than not that's what comes to mind when I sit down to write. Same reason most straight writers write about straight characters.
We are not strangers to ourselves, we only try to be. --Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
mralebundy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mralebundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2009 at 11:36pm
i enjoyed the story and although i dont think it needs anything else i would like to read the full story before you cut stuff out of it to make it fit the word count limit for most magazines.
"you havent lived untill youve died" King gordy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic