Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Other authors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOrson Scott Card

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 58596061>
Author
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlimMackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 2:57am
[QUOTE=dnurse64] The 3rd book is the one that might get a little slow but don't give up on it. Wait until you see all the names in that one. [QUOTE]

SPOILERS:

I didn't find the book slow at all. Maybe you meant all of the dialogue. I loved it.

Ahh, Elemak. I don't know what to say. He is going to be trouble. He kept teetering back and forth from the good guy to the bad guy, but it looks as if the bad guy is now here to stay. I was really hoping for him to be a good guy.

All the names...oh my god. The frustrating part is there is no "family tree" guide in the beginning that includes all these kids. I managed to keep up with them through the first round of offspring, now I think I am going mad. Hopefully EarthFall will clear things up in this regard.

I don't like the fact that the "all knowing" Oversoul is becoming "stupid". I know that is the plot of the story, but I have grown attached to it. That's kind of weird I know, but I hope I don't cry if and when it dies. lol.

I finished it last night standing up against my bedroom wall. I was falling asleep and I really wanted to finish it.

Next up is EarthFall. I will start that one tonight. I am excited.
The other night I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
-Rodney Dangerfield
Sponsored Links

dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 5:15am
SPOILERS:

Maybe it was the 2nd one that was kind of slow.

The men are back in power and the women are no longer in control.

Are you liking the prophetic dreams about the rats and bats? I really got into that.

I really hate Elemak.

The Oversoul plays an important role in all 5 books so you will keep on enjoying him. I hope that's not a bad spoiler for you.

I loved Earthfall!

That was so funny about you standing against the wall! I'll have to try that sometime. Ha.
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

SlimMackenzie View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlimMackenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2010 at 7:40am
I am beginning to understand the rats and angels.

That is the first time I have used the wall for that purpose. Amazingly effective.

Good to hear the Oversoul will be around for a while.
The other night I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.
-Rodney Dangerfield
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2010 at 4:17am
I'm reading Magic Street by OSC. Here's a synopsis:

MAGIC STREET

From Publishers Weekly Starred Review.

The residents of Baldwin Hills, a middle-class African-American L.A. neighborhood, get caught up in a battle between the king and the queen of the fairies in this wonderful urban fantasy from Card (Seventh Son). Mack Street, who was abandoned as an infant, grows up to be a sweet but strange but sweet boy. No one could imagine how he is connected to "Bag Man," who lives in an invisible house at the opening to Fairyland and can temporarily force anyone to happily do his bidding, or to a darkly mysterious "motorcycle riding hoochie mama," who seduces men with a touch and has big plans for Baldwin Hills. Not even Cecil "Ceese" Tucker, who found Mack in a shopping bag, can believe that the neighbors' most secret desires are flowing into Mack's dreams, occasionally dripping out and becoming true in a horrifically twisted fashion. When a young swimmer who wishes she were a fish is found drowning in her father's waterbed, magic is never suspected. But once everyone knows the truth, what will they do about it? The ways that the mundane and fantastic intersect are completely believable, and the characters crackle with personality and attitude. Crisp, clean writing creates a vivid sense of place and plugs readers into a story they won't want to see end

So far this is a fun book full of enchantment and humor. OSC has woven Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream into the theme in an intriguing manner. I brushed up on that story to better enjoy MAGIC STREET. This is the 3rd book (Iliad and Olympos by Simmons first 2) that I've read in a row that has Shakespeare themes woven into them. I think I enjoy Shakespeare better this way!

I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2010 at 3:00am
OSC uses Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream as the theme in the same manner Simmon's used Homer's Iliad but instead of being heavy on scifi, it's big on magical fantasy. Magic Street was a unique read. I enjoyed it very much. There is an interesting afterword regarding how he came up with the idea for this book. It started when OSC received a letter from his friend that wondered why he "had never written a black hero in his fiction." He goes on to explain how he came up the with the setting and storyline. It's fascinating how writers come up with ideas and put it all together.
Very entertaining book.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 58596061>
  Share Topic