Forum Home Forum Home > Writer/Book Forums > Other authors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDan Simmons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>
Author
Master
Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kauldron26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2008 at 1:23pm

Favorite Koontz: FTCOHE

Reading all works by:
James Clavell and James Michener

Check out My Library
Sponsored Links

Blazingice0608 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blazingice0608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 3:12pm
How are his "other" books? And i say other because i so rarely hear them mentioned, Carrion Comfort is one of them, but also darwins blade, fires of eden, crooks factory, etc. Im also curious about his Joe Kurtz trilogy, hardcase, hard freeze, and hard as nails.

I think i have been oblivious to this stuff because while i usually browse an author i like at the bookstore, even if i have no intention of buying anything from him, in Simmons case i would of course go to the SF section for hyperion stuff. And when i saw all these other books i was wondering why my local stores never have any of them, and then it hit me that his others are probably in a different section, lol

I also JUST figured out(im slow lol) that Ilium and Olympos are a series in that order, i will definitly have to pick up some of those. However, im going to wait to start buying up these small series(i have a long list of them now)until im done with my DK and SK collection, but until then i want to try out some of these Simmons standalones. Terror and Darwins blade have my interest. Are their any others you guys recomend?
pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2008 at 7:13pm
Darwin's Blade is okay, it's an interesting, action packed, quick read and better than the majority of other books around but I didn't think it had the greatness of his other stuff. Fires of Eden was probably my least favorite of his. I haven't read Terror, Crook Factory, the Kurtz books or Carrion Comfort yet, so I can't help you there.
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
dnurse64 View Drop Down
Guru
Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnurse64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 2:09pm
Song of Kali (1985)

No spoilers:

I understand why DK stated on the cover, "The best novel in the genre I can remember. Dan Simmons is brilliant." I believe Simmons succeeded in writing an excellent book of horror. He did a nice job of creating a suspenseful mood using the city of Calcutta as a setting and the Hindu goddess Kali as source of evil.

However, I didn't enjoy this book. Instead I was morbidly captivated by it. The entire time I had this feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. That is the point of this genre but I don't like to sustain that feeling during an entire read. This is the first full length Simmons' novel that I've read along with a few short stories and I find that with Simmons, I feel like I'm on the outside looking in on events and characters. Bobby and Amrita are a nice couple, but I felt distanced from them, not connected, not emotionally invested. Even with the humor, which was well written, I just chuckled a little while feeling that detached feeling. This book is tragic but ends with hope which I appreciated. But I was so drained and saddened by the events that the message of the ending was overshadowed by a gloomy feeling.

I've never really been interested in visiting India because I feel it's kind of unsafe despite all its wonders. After reading Song of Kali, I never never ever want to go to Calcutta.

This is a well written dark book, it's just not my favorite style in the genre. If you enjoy this book, you will like Angel of Darkness by Charles de Lint from his horror collections. Dean Koontz stated on the front cover of AoD, "A fresh intriguing novel that captured me from page one."

I'll give Song of Kali a 8.5 to 9/10.

I'm wanting to read more Simmons since so many members think he's great. This is my 2nd try and the 1st was Lovedeath the short story collection. I need suggestions of his work that's not so dark and I want to be more attached to the characters. I fear 3 strikes and he's out. LOL

I love coming of age stories. My instinct from synopsis readings was to try Summer of Night first. Does that have any sunshine in it?
I'm inclined to believe in parallel worlds filled with dark bound Snow and Odd adventures.

pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2010 at 7:20pm
I haven't read Summer of Night and I'm not a fan of coming of age stories, so I can't help you there but I have read Ilium and Olympos and would highly recommend them, I think they are his best work along with the Hyperion series. I also loved Children of the Night, not only is the story great but he also did alot of research which totally wow'd me, but there is no sunshine there.
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 38>
  Share Topic