Forum Home Forum Home > Home Improvement > Electrical, Plumbing & Heating/Cooling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedover the sink fluorescent light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: over the sink fluorescent light
    Posted: December/20/2006 at 2:12pm
Thanks Don.
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
Sponsored Links

donp View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Master Regional Rider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 1:25pm
a ballast is pretty much a big transformer that powers the flourescent bulbs. it is easier sometimes to just replace the whole fixture, but that depends on whether or not it is custom built into a cabinet or pocket in the ceiling. and sometimes the whole fixture is cheaper than a ballast. i've replaced a few ballast over the years, and if you don;t have much electrical experience, i recommend an electrician, even to replace the entire fixture.
pattirose View Drop Down
Guru
Guru
Canadian Wildwoman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pattirose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2006 at 8:22am
The light over my sink went out and I've already determined it's not the tube itself, so do I need a new fixture or I've heard it could be the ballast? Can I fix that myself or do I need an electrican or a just a handyman?

What exactly is a ballast anyway?
"Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake" - Life Expectancy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic